Saturday 18 August 2012

Around the Edge of Wales (18)....Cardigan to Llangrannog


Around the edge of Wales (18)….Cardigan to Llangrannog

I was looking forward to this section, since one of my first tasks ever as a National Trust warden had involved  restoring a coastal scar at Llangrannog  - the result of opening a new agricultural track across the cliff in the 1980s. I’d never been back to see how successful the job had been. Mwnt was quiet in the early hours of the morning, with only a few dog-walkers about, as well as a pair of noisy chough on the first headland going northwards. The cliffs were a series of steep headlands  and wooded valleys with streams tumbling down to the shore.  It was hard walking and I wished the uninspiring MOD infrastructure at Aberporth wasn’t constantly in sight.



Near Aberporth, a flock of 4 chough rose from an adjacent cattle-grazed field and circled on a thermal with a buzzard. The path had been virtually deserted all morning. I’d only seen 3 walkers in 5 hours. North of Aberporth the tarmac path towards Tresaith was much busier. This section of path had an unusually high number of old railway carriages that had been transformed into holiday chalets, as well as more than its share of the standard luxury mobile holiday homes.





I stopped at the Ship pub in Tresaith where they note daily dolphin sightings on a blackboard and enjoyed   a cold drink before heading off to Llangrannog. The valley woodland at Penbryn was cool, ferny  and beautiful – the paths pretty much as I remembered when we first uncovered them as part of a National Trust project many years ago. Another steep climb from Penbryn beach followed by a descent into Llangrannog, past a newly uncovered sculpture of St.Crannog above the bay, took me to Caffi Patio, where my nephew Meilyr served me a double shot coffee and a vanilla ice cream. I ended up staying on the patio, chatting to other visitors, until 6pm.



No comments:

Post a Comment