Wednesday 1 August 2012

Around the edge of Wales (1)....preparing for the journey


Around the edge of Wales (1). . . preparing for the journey

I’ve been wondering whether this journey is going to happen at all. I’ve been planning it in my head for at least a year but haven’t had any time to prepare. Six weeks of walking and cycling around the edge of Wales – a welcome escape from the office desk and the computer screen. There’ll be fantastic views out there to enjoy, but it’ll be difficult to leave the garden in May. So much to do. And I was looking forward so much to seeing how the newly created pond and outdoor reading room was going to develop this summer......



I need to make a start though - the original start date was postponed so that I could be at the official opening of the Wales Coast Path in Flint on May 5th. I’ve only ever glimpsed Flint castle through grimy train windows, but what a great location, with the towers rising straight from the saltmarsh. I spent the following day pottering about at the Anglesey Sea Kayaking Symposium but can’t afford any more delays…..




I'm just putting things off now, realising that I haven't prepared enough, trained enough or given any thought, beyond the first day, to this epic trip!
But I've got holidays to take - and if I don't use them I'll lose them - so tomorrow I will definitely be heading off eastwards along the north Wales coast towards the border and Offa’s Dyke. Despite some nervousness about my ability to complete this journey I am looking forward to seeing Wales in spring along this 1000+ mile journey and hope to raise funds for the ‘Size of Wales’ project and the Alzheimer’s Society at the same time.






No comments:

Post a Comment